Translate

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

What the surprise was

Nearly a fortnight later, I am ready to continue writing my blog as I was too busy to sit down and write. As many of you are already following me on the social media, you all may have guessed that the surprise I spoke about on my previous entry was my completely unannounced but well-planned visit to my home-town for 10 days starting 26th February 2016.

Hannah, my daughter, and I had discussed the possibility of my visiting Mumbai a few months ago; in fact, she was the one who had broached it. I had said it would not be possible as it would be too quick to ask for a holiday after my joining the new job in November 2015. She had got reconciled to this, but I began to think, why not. When I came to know that my entire family would be on a trip to a family get-together on the last weekend in February, I spoke to the doctor who arranges off-days and vacations in our department. I told him I needed some days off which could be deducted from my annual quota of vacations. He agreed with the dates I proposed. Once he sanctioned this, I booked my flight tickets and proceeded with the plan to visit India. 

A major incident occurred in early February which could have toppled the apple-cart. My brother-in-law suddenly passed away. My own family's participation in the larger get-together was dicey, as my wife Nishrin was suddenly bereaved. Over the next few weeks, the loss dulled somewhat, and many of my cousins, including those who had planned the get-together convinced Nishrin to, in fact, join in the do. As the day of the do neared, so did the day for me to fly. I finally took the host couple (actually, the ones who did all the arrangements for the do)  into confidence. I told them that I needed the address of the bungalow they had hired for the do, as I was planning to reach there as a surprise. The couple, Salim and Samira, were pleasantly shocked when I shared the news with them, as they had, sort of, accepted the fact that I wasn't going to be among the family at the meeting. They promised to keep the secret. 

A few days before the actual event of the get-together, my family announced in our extended family group (on Whatsapp) that their participation was on. I knew now that my trip and its objective of a secret arrival was going to be a success. I flew to India on the evening of the 26th, arriving via Abu Dhabi on a Etihad jump flight on the afternoon of the 27th. I had broken the news to my neighbour, who usually have a set of spare keys to my house. They had coordinated my arrival with me so beautifully! And had kept the secret as well. Had I not confided in them, I would have had no way to enter my own home on my arrival! 

All the chips fell in place, then, and I arrived to a locked house at about half past two on the Saturday, My immediate task was to dump my luggage and proceed immediately to a social event organised by World Vision India, a non-governmental Christian organisation that I am a part of as I have adopted some poor kids through their agency. They were having a big Mumbai Partners' Meet at a public auditorium in Bandra. I was supposed to meet my Mumbai-based adoptees here between 2 and 3 p.m. Although I was running late, I did manage to reach a few minutes after three, when the kids I had adopted were about to leave, having waited for me for over an hour with their mothers. I met them then, and had photos taken of our meeting ... but that's another story. 

I will end this entry here, and continue my visit experiences over the next several entries. Do read on. 

Thanks for visiting my blog ... do put in your thoughts into the comments section. 

No comments:

Post a Comment