Translate

Sunday, March 13, 2016

India visit, Day 4 and 5: Family dinner at Apoorva and meet-ups

The next few days went by with me doing a lot of stuff that would otherwise be termed minor - like doing chores and running errands, but it helped me organise the pending activities in the house, as all the rest of my family are continually busy with their work and profession. In the evening, on Tuesday the 1st of March, we all went out for dinner. The place we chose is the Apoorva restaurant in Fort. It is one of the most famous, reasonably priced fish food joints in south Mumbai. This time, too, it did not let us down. We had generous portions of starters and a fried fish (surmai) for the main course. Really enjoyed myself.

On Wednesday, I went to meet some of the important family members I did not meet last week, such as my uncle Moiz Sawliwala. He is nearly 90 but continues to be mentally sharp and active. I also had a chance to meet a few others - on the road, while shopping or moving into the market. One such person was my cousin Masuma Pacha. She is the daughter of my mum's first cousin. It was a pleasure meeting her near Crawford Market with her daughter Munira.

There was great interaction between me and some of my neighbours. This is especially true of Iqbal Bhinderwala, who is my immediate neighbour. He and his family have been a source of great support to me and my family. The next is Mr and Mrs Subair and Sabina Sawliwala. I met with them and their very pretty daughter Zahra. Finally, I had a long meeting with the Karmalawalas, my third-floor neighbours, whom I went to visit to commiserate on my behalf as they had a double loss of both their parents last month within the space of a few hours. Here, I also met their elder daughter Tasneem, who is in India from the UK. She lives with her husband in Liverpool.

In addition to these people, I also met with the neighbours of my mum when I went to visit her. One of the people I met was Razia Shakir, who is the daughter of Mr and Mrs Yusuf Sihorwala. She lives in Dubai, and meeting her by chance after nearly 3 decades was an amazing thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment