Translate

Thursday, March 10, 2016

India Visit, Day 1: World Vision Partnership Meet

I was aware that there was an opportunity for me to meet two of my four sponsored children at the Mumbai Partnership meeting arranged by the NGO that has enabled me to organise charity for underprivileged children: World Vision India (see their website). My arrival at the Mumbai airport was at around 1 p.m. My objective was to reach the venue of the meeting before half past two. I knew that would be almost impossible, since I had to first travel to my home in south Mumbai, and then, to the meeting venue which was again in north Mumbai, at a suburb known to many as the Queen of Suburbs of India, or, simply said, Bandra. I hastily completed my immigration formalities.By half past one, I was out of it and into the cab hire area. I chose a cool cab and was on my way home within a few seconds. I requested the cabbie to wait for me to go up and dump my luggage and then, when I came back down, to take me to the Bandra suburb to the venue of the meet. 

When I arrived at the auditorium, someone from WVI immediately engaged me in the registration process, while another one called out to the two Mumbai-based children who had come to the venue with the hope of meeting me. We then met up with each other - me and the two children, and it was a magical moment that I won't ever forget.

Here are some photos of that memorable occasion. 




After meeting with both my friends, I went into the auditorium to attend part of the Partnership meet which was about showcasing the work of the organisation as well as presentations by many of the sponsored children who have now grown out of their childhood and are settling down in higher education and so on. It was all very inspiring, but I left soon as I was dog tired from my air travel. However, I did capture a few moments from the events on the stage. The first is a group song, while the second is a screen grab of the head of the WVI addressing the gathering.



Returned home to finish unpacking my stuff and then went out to have a nice fish dinner in the restaurant down my lane. I slept early as I planned to take an early morning bus to Tungarli to join the rest of my extended family and my own in a move that would take everyone by surprise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment