Translate

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Strung between the rank of a registrar and a house-officer

This is a very candid admission that I am finding the job of being a registrar in the NHS pretty difficult. Although, yes, my skills are improving, I am still not there. I mean that I am still struggling to be recognised as a safe registrar in my department. Things have come to a stage where my departmental head wants me to downgrade to a house-officer level so that I am able to carry on. I have agreed to do so. To help me to understand the complexities of NHS. 

I have even begun to do locum jobs as a house officer. I did two nights in Neonatology at Preston last Friday and Saturday. This was an enjoyable experience for two reasons. I have always enjoyed working in neonatal units - just a personal preference, really. Secondly, the consultant who was with me on both the nights was a real nice guy by the name of Dr. Egbeama. He is a Nigerian Neonatology consultant. I was happy to be guided by him as his entire demeanour was very good. He is supportive and shows the right approach for doing things. The interesting thing is that I was supposed to do just Friday night, but the department needed me for one more night, so I ended up coordinating the second night with my locum agency. This worked out right. I even got a room on the campus to stay the day out. I probably will make some money from these two nights' extra work, but more than the money, it was the exposure to a new setup that I will cherish in time to come.

On Saturday morning as well as on Sunday morning, I spent some time to travel by bus to R K Sweets, the "gujju" eating out place on Plungington Road near the Lancashire University complex. Now, I have reviewed this place on Tripadvisor and on Google Maps, and I must say that it continues to be a top favourite with me. I usually end up purchasing stuff to take back with me to Blackpool. Also, I always have their masala dosa. This time, though, I had a breakfast of Idli sambar chatni on Saturday, and their full lunch thali on Sunday. Both these were marvellous. The lunch thali had kadhi, pulao, puris, 2 vegetables ( I chose paneer mutter and undhiyu) as also a serving of savoury (I had an onion bhajiya) and a sweet (which I exchanged for another savoury, a batata wada). It was a delicious meal.

In other news, back home, it looks like my younger daughter Hannah, who was between jobs for the past month has found herself a new job! She will be working as a social media content writer for a company called Insomniacs. It's good news indeed. Inas and my wife Nishrin are on their usual routines. Mom continues to be all right after a short period of illness last month for which she had to be hospitalised for a few days.

And that's about it. Do continue to visit my blog and comment!

1 comment: