Translate

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

The journey back to Mumbai, a retrospective entry ... do read this one!

I started my travel at around 5 p.m. on Saturday the 23rd. Going by train to Manchester airport, I was aware that I would have to spend about 3-4 hours inside the airport. This time, I carried with me just one suitcase and one laptop bag. En route, my baggage will increase, as it always does!

Due to the onset of vacation time in the U.K., tickets to India weren't so cheap. I finally managed to find a trip that was reasonably priced; the catch, however, was that there would be a layover at Istanbul airport for over 13 hours. I left for Manchester airport by train, arriving there at around 6:15 p.m. I would be travelling by Turkish airlines. The flight time was 23:40 hours, and I had to while away my time in the airport, having food, relaxing, surfing the net, etc. until it was time for check-in to be announced. It was at about 11 p.m. that we finally collected at the gate from where we would board the aircraft awaiting us. (By us, I mean my fellow passengers, of course).

The actual boarding started after another 15 minutes, and the aircraft finally took off near around mid-night. I saw the newly made Disney movie Jungle Book. Food on the flight was quite okay, consisting of beef pattice on rice, bread, butter, dessert and, finally, tea.

I reached Ataturk International airport at around 05:30 a.m. The arrivals lounge was quite busy even at that hour. Transit passengers were all directed to the transit counters and then the international lounge, where I have been waiting since then until now, when I have begun to write this draft that will eventually appear on my blog.

I have had the occasion to meet a few people. The first was a mother-daughter duo travelling to Boston, Massachusetts. Mom and Dad live in Dhahran in KSA, where the dad is a university teacher. They have four children, two of whom are already married and settled in the U.S. One is a younger son, who is with the parents. The  last is the daughter who was accompanying her mom today. She has secured admission to a course on Politics in the University of Maryland, and they were flying there for her to start her course. They had a wait of over six hours.

After they left, I was joined by a Nigerian student of Hotel Management. Sarah is pursuing education in this course in Cyprus. Currently, she was travelling to her home country to meet her family. She, too, has a wait of nearly eight hours at the airport.

For lunch, I had a chicken hamburger with potato crisps and a diet coke. My new friend could not find something suitable and settled for just fries and a coke. Perhaps she would eat a more substantial meal later.

I have had the pleasure of meeting yet another interesting man, Philippe RenĂ© Nsoa, a Cameroonian judge by profession.  This gentleman was returning home from a work trip to Malta, where he had gone to attend a judges' workshop. The sad thing was that he missed his flight yesterday evening, and has to wait until today evening (a total of 24 hours) at the airport. Additionally, he had to shell out €200 to purchase a new ticket.

In the later part of the afternoon, I had the occasion to meet Anjum, a Kenyan British person of Indian origin. This young, recently married girl is an auxillary nurse working in the community at Manchester. She had been to Male to be with her in-laws, and had arrived at Ataturk around the same time as me, and sitting just a few tables away from where I was during the entire morning. Now, she is returning to Manchester on an evening flight.

Wikipaedia would give you the exact details of this airport. What I wish to state here is that it is a very busy airport, huge in size, and handling at least 700-800 flights a day across its nearly 500 departure/arrival gates. The food court is FULL of travellers, and the tables at the side where people like me sit down to spend the whole day, perhaps placing our heads on the table and napping, and looking at the thousands of people who are all around me.

I did manage to buy a few things to take home, and will share pictures of the same in my subsequent entry. That's all for now ... so, as always, thanks for visiting and reading this entry. Although it was written "live" , I will be posting it a few days later after I am back in Mumbai and in my home internet network. 

No comments:

Post a Comment