Translate

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Mumbai meri jaan

I reached Mumbai three and a half days ago, on a wet Monday morning. Actually, the Gods were smiling, as I made the last stretch home in a cab without any rain. No sooner had I stepped into my home than the rains burst upon us! My welcome was a very warm one, with Inas and Nishrin up at the early dawn hour. They quickly settled me onto a chair and served me hot chai. Hannah slept on, as she had slept late the previous night. After some cleansing, washing and bathing, I went to sleep, waking up at half past nine to be welcomed by Hannah, who was, by now, up and about and getting ready to go to work. 

I slept in through most of the morning and into the early part of the afternoon. In the evening, I went out for a few small errands; on the way back, I purchased food from Apoorva, which we had for dinner at home. This repast consisted of grilled fish (a large Rawas), prawns gassi and appams. It was thoroughly enjoyable. 

Tuesday saw me calling my relatives and close friends. In the evening, we went for dinner again, this time, to Chetana Restaurant at Kala Ghoda. This is a fine vegetarian place. While Hannah and I had a standard thali, Nishrin and Inas settled for dal-dhokli and a vegetable kadhai with chapatis. 

On the Wednesday morning, I went to the local RTO to apply for an international driving permit - something that I should have done when I first went to the UK (but had not). After this, it would be a mixed evening of meeting, eating and a movie -- but about all this, in my next post, as I haven't reached those events yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment