Translate

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Catching up with my life here in the UK

Dear readers,

Due to various challenges that I have been facing here in the past few months, I have been unable to really do extraordinary things ... things that livened up my life in the UK in the first five months. However, my rather unexciting life has still been an enjoyable one ... at least to me. In the first place, it has been interesting to see the British people here as they went in to vote whether to remain within the EU or to vote to leave it. The results were not as resonantly in favour or against ... the spread between the victors (Leave) and the losers (Remain) was just 4% ( 52% vs 48%), but the political repercussions have been enormous. Both the leading parties - the Conservative party, or the Tories, and the Labour party (or simply, Labour) - are in a turmoil. While the Tories have to choose a new leader because the current PM has resigned (Mr David Cameron), the Labour Party led by Mr Jeremy Corbyn is also facing trouble as the MPs of that party have voted to give Corbyn a boot. 

Of course, the financial markets have fallen, and the pound, even more so. I remember exchanging a British pound for over 98 INR when my first salary was credited to my bank account in January. Now, it is at 88 INR. A fall of over 10% in just six months! Indeed, more pain is expected in the coming months. 

Summer, the most awaited season here, has been playing truant. The weather remains uncomfortably windy and chilly even though it is now July. It has been particularly difficult for me for 2 reasons: while I have lost quite a bit of weight (which means loss of the insulation cover of fat), the central heating in our flats has been switched off since the first of May. As a result, I now sleep with three covers over the upper half of my body, and a blanket atop that! Even then, I keep feeling chilly. The temperature is in single digits even as I write this. Oh, how I miss the heat of Mumbai! Or even Al Muwayh, for that matter (hee hee). 

Finally, I will end this with one more topic: how I am getting along. Most of my documentation for transferring to my new employment is now complete, but a few more things need to be completed. Just when I am preparing to move, my consultants are beginning to realise that they are about to lose a person who may lack some of the skills registrars possess, but who has the breadth and depth of knowledge that is really enviable. They haven't, of course, voiced that opinion publicly, but I can see that they see the improvement in my skills and understanding of the NHS. The writing is on the wall, however, and what has been done cannot be undone. I am ready to move to the new job. My experience with locum jobs in different parts of the country has really enriched me and given me the confidence to face the new challenge of working as a Senior House Officer. 

And that is where I wish to end this post. Eid Mubarak to all my readers. And a happy day to everyone as well.  Thank you for reading my blog. Do leave your comments down below. It will encourage me immensely. 

2 comments:

  1. Eid Mubarak brother...and hats off to you, I remember my early years of being a transplanted immigrant working in the US and my first winters here....it's tough...but the learning curve is quick and easy for us KEMites due to our vast clinical experience...and sooner or later, the system in the west realizes this and laps us up and our opportunities and career graph soar and our hopes and dreams are realized...guts and gumption like yours will definitely yield rich rewards my bro....Eid Mubarak..PS: Come for a small holiday to the NE of USA and Philadelphia whenever you can...were just on the "other side of the pond" as the Brits say...my home is your home...keep that in mind. Cheers bro...your ole classmate,Chand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear C,

      Thank you for the heads up. Unfortunately, the other side of the pond may look easy for you, but, since I am changing jobs, I won't be able to get leave so soon. I might meet you in India in January, though, as I do plan to attend the get-together.

      Taher

      Delete