Translate

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Big change coming up

I have already described the road my journey in the U.K. has taken from the professional point of view. Click HERE to go to that post. I have also discussed with you, dear readers, what is currently on. Things are going to be a bit different from the first of February. What is happening is that while I will continue to work at the Blackpool Victoria Hospital, I will now be working as a full-rota SHO. This means that I will now be carrying a first-on-call bleep and will be working shift duties including weekends and nights. 

How will this change my journey? If I am able to perform as a capable SHO, it might motivate some of my consultants to begin to think whether I would be, at some stage, be ready to become a registrar. Secondly, it will augment my paycheck, and make it a little less necessary for me to work in other hospitals, doing locums. I am a bit nervous from the first outcome point of view, and a little happier from the second outcome point of view.

What it also means is that I will be working 48 hours a week instead of the 40 that I do now, and as some of these will be night duties or what is called "unsocial hours", I will be paid additional money for these. 

It seems that this will be an opportunity for me to shape up and show the seniors that I am ready to take on additional responsibilities. What I need from you all is encouragement, which I am sure you will all offer me, and a prayer - if you believe it its power. 

Thank you. 

2 comments:

  1. You'll be fine, just make sure you get enough rest. When I went through my Residency training for the 2nd time around, I was older and experienced too...but I kept my mouth shut and let my work do the talking as per good advice someone had given me then, it worked...so Im sharing that with you....your knowledge pool is enormous as is your experience, it'll shine through..cheers and good luck bro

    ReplyDelete