Translate

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Fits and starts ... but things are moving ahead

Dear readers, 

You have all been following my blog so religiously, and I know that you all cannot be bothered to comment, but it's okay, since you have let me know,through the social media, through messages and also through calls that you are all keenly following my European adventure, so thanks.

Those who are new to this blog: this is an update to some of my previous entries pertaining to my struggle to understand and cope with a highly complex health service, the NHS. It has been over two and a half months since I joined here officially, and although I am now in better shape to manage the work that defines a middle-grade doctor, I am still miles away from attaining the competence required of me. Yes, I am slowly but surely getting there. In the past few weeks, I have been working hard to stay on the ward beyond the usual duty hours, finding opportunities to do procedures on children, and seeing patients who present to the ongoing assessment service on the ward. It has been a very humbling and educative fortnight. I have, to some extent, learned how to "clerk" new patients presenting to the assessment unit. Clerking, essentially, is the rigorous history-taking and examination of the child who arrives for relief. After clerking, I would be expected to present the child to a registrar or consultant and then see if my management plan and theirs coincides or not. To be honest, there is a lot of work to be done.  

Finding and cannulating veins on a sick child is really difficult work, and this is the main area where I seek to improve my skills. It's just that I don't find enough opportunities to do so. I am hoping that I will quickly learn to do these things soon. 

Attending deliveries on the delivery suite and in the operation theatre (in case of a Caeserean section) is the third area where I am seeking to improve myself. I have begun to go for deliveries, and I hope to attend a sufficient number of them so that I am able to manage the newborn at birth. 

This, then, is the progress on my work. I would really welcome some comments, some encouragement, and perhaps, some constructive criticism as well. Thank you for reading my entry. Do look out for the next one, which might be a few days away, or may be very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment