Translate

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Enjoyed a talented circus-cum-music performance on the weekend

If you are among those who follow me on the social media, then you might have already had a look at my post on FB where I have put up some pictures of the troupe that performed before the audience at the Blackpool Tower Circus - the program was called Klaxon by Akoracro. This unusually talented group of about a dozen performers backed by their admin and back-stage group has performed at many places across the UK, and perhaps all over the continent. 

Their performance marked the culmination of the SHOWZAM week at Blackpool, an entire week of performances of all kinds. I had booked a ticket to this performance over a month ago, online. I wasn't really sure what their performance might be all about, but the intrigue over their unusual name made me book the ticket anyway. 

The venue is the Blackpool Tower building which has, within it, many areas where one can attend performances or play games, etc. Of course, one can also visit the Blackpool Tower itself, as well as the Dungeons. It was my first time inside, and I was completely floored by the interiors. Everything was so well planned. To reach the circus arena, one had to first pass through several gaming arcades and past rest rooms, snack bars and so on. Eventually, I made my way to the first floor, where a fairly large crowd of circus enthusiasts had already gathered ahead of me. A photo kiosk was set up, and I posed in the way prescribed for them to create digital images of me against interesting back-drops. (The image that I bought for keepsake had me balancing myself on a rope stretched across the circus arena!)

The arena itself was large and very beautifully decorated. Aisles led down to the front rows, where most of the crowds had gravitated to. Children were there in large numbers, and their presence added the required colour to the whole experience. 

The show finally began at half past two. It was slow to begin with, but as the performers got into their routine, it picked up in intensity. The remarkable thing was that nearly all the performers were multi-talented. For example, one of them, the young man who often play-acted as a clown, or an idiot, was actually able to play musical instruments, perform acrobatics, and do the trapeze acts all with the same level of professional expertise. Most of the others did multiple things as we could see. The only female was similarly talented, although I did not see her playing any musical instruments.

The arena itself was so beautiful. The corner decorations were a delight to see. The technical arrangements were brilliant. Within minutes, the troupe artists could hoist a trapeze system, and within minutes, they could dismantle it. The players who performed on the trapeze were, apart from the couple I already talked about, a medley of others. The sweeper did a lot of balancing acts, danced within a steel ring that was the size of his height, jumped up and above other performers, and did many other entertaining things. The grand-master of them all, a coated man who showed his talent more than once with the viola you see in the centre of the arena in the picture alongside was almost always shouting commands and talking in what I think was a central European tongue. He was a delight to see.

The other performers were all entertaining. The trapeze artist who mostly stayed on the top of the swings was a strong guy who controlled the comings and goings of the others who chose to swing with him. 

The show lasted for just over an hour and twenty minutes. However, the entertainment was superb. They had us all in their thrall. The children among the audience were enjoying themselves immensely. Photography was not allowed during the show, but I did manage to squeeze in a few frames on the sly, and here they are, for your viewing. 

Before I go, thank you again for your visits to my blog. Do let me know about your own blogs through the comments section, and I will manage to get the time to visit you back. 




No comments:

Post a Comment