Translate

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The 10000 step challenge

The Blackpool Victoria Hospital works to bring funds from many sources. One such source is the Blue Skies Charity Fund which works with the aim to collect funds for the hospital and its large requirement of money throughout the year. The BSCF runs many ongoing programs and periodically unfurls smaller campaigns that help the fund as well as the participants in some way or the other. Recently, it announced a fitness campaign that encourages employees of the hospital as well as anyone else who wishes to participate, to walk 10 thousand steps daily for an entire month. In this case, it happens to be January. 

I joined the campaign wholeheartedly, as I am all out to improve my fitness levels. It then asks participants to try and get others to "join" in the fun by donating money to support your effort. The donated money goes to the fund, and not to you. As part of the effort, therefore, I created a campaign page for myself at THIS site. Do click on the "THIS" to take you to my page. You will see my progress here, and if you wish to, you can donate to the BSCF and indirectly extend your support both to me, and to the fund, which is doing great work for the time it has been around. 

So far, I have been able to achieve my target and even go past it every day. As I could not join on the first of January, I have started the campaign from the 8th of the month. Today is the fifth day of my campaign, and I must say I am surprised at my own stamina in trying to reach, and then go past, the daily goal. 

To enable me to count my daily steps, I first downloaded an app to my phone, but found it cumbersome to carry my phone around everywhere. Also, when my battery ran out, the phone simply stopped counting my steps, as it happened on the second day, To avoid this, I ordered a wrist band that has the capability not only to count my steps, but also to monitor my heart rate, the calories I burn every day, the number of stairs I climb daily and show me the time as well. This device comes from FITBIT, and the MODEL I use cost me about INR 8000. It arrived within 24 hours, and I have been using it since Saturday afternoon. It has been an awesome experience. 

My aim is to cross the monthly target of 310000 steps. This is equivalent to about 215 km, or a little over 7 km a day. So far, it is going well indeed. I have reached over 55000 steps in the nearly 5 days that I am monitoring myself. That is over 35 km. 

I am also gymming, but not six days a week, just thrice a week. The gym evenings are intensive, however, and my personal trainer, who goes by the curious name of Jamie Evill, is a fantastic motivator and trainer. I am completely under his charisma, and so far, he and I have been doing great things at each of my sessions. With my own resolution to walk more, a little better control of my diet, better medicines for my diabetes, and the training at the gym, I have lost 4.5 kg since I came to the UK on the 14th of November 2015. Cheers to that!

2 comments: