Translate

Friday, January 22, 2016

A round-up of the past several days

I have been working hard the last week, and hence, have been unable to supply you, dear readers, with any fresh installments. That doesn't mean that I do not have anything to share ... in fact, a lot has been happening! 

At work, I am getting a little more comfortable with the things I do. 

At home, I am busy studying for the upcoming mandatory training course that I will be going for the coming new week. This is at Manchester, and I must clear this course with a certificate. It is called the Advanced Paediatric Life Support (APLS) course.  

On the fitness front, I am progressing really well. So far, I have lost 4.8 kg since I came here to the UK in about 2 months. I have been training at the local gym, but several other factors have also contributed. I walk a lot - in fact, in the last 15 days, I have walked 120.5 km! I know this as I am using a Fitbit wrist-worn device to measure my footsteps. In addition, I am paying attention to my diet, and I am on a new anti-diabetic medicine that actually helps to not just control my diabetes, but also to lose weight. 

Have I been enjoying myself or not? Well, if you think I am not, you are mistaken. On the last Tuesday, the 19th of this month, some of my co-residents and one of the advanced neonatal nurse practitioners and I went to a posh restaurant in town known as Frank & Benny's. We had a marvellous, but expensive dinner. After this, we went to see a movie - The Revenant - starring Leonardo di Caprio - at a multiplex theatre just opposite the restaurant. The theatre is called the Odeon, and it has six screens. It was a lovely experience, and I can certainly say that every minute of the evening was fun. 

In other news, I also got myself a 32" flat-screen TV through Amazon. The hostel room that I live in already has a feed through an external antenna, and the accommodations-in-charge, Ms. Karen McKenna arranged for getting my TV all set-up to receive the signals of all the free channels that can be seen on the TV. I am really discovering a lot of the Kingdom through these shows - but I really love the itv channel for its variety of shows, and the BBC 2 channel for its news coverage of UK events. 

Am I cooking? My friends will remember how I used to make a lot of dishes when I was in Saudi Arabia. Alas, the lack of time, and the ready availability of food in the hospital restaurant as well as the various shops inside it have made me somewhat lazy. I now get ready-to-eat food many times. Especially enjoyable are the pre-cooked ready meals available at the Marks and Spencer's Food shop (M & S), They have foods from several countries of the world, including the many Asian countries, European ones, etc. This has led me to actually discover world cuisine, but the only grouse is that this is pre-packed food, not fresh. Even so, it is quite tasty. 

My own cooking has been simple, though I have made my own breakfast - poha, upma, omelette, boiled eggs, sandwiches, etc. For the main meals, I usually make dal, but I have made vegetables, fish, chicken and lamb as well. The thing is, British food is slowly growing on me, and I am beginning to enjoy its flavours. This means that I now add a little less chilli in my Indian food! 

The end of the month will see a change in the people I work with. Some will get transferred to other hospitals as they have completed their six-month rota in our hospital. Dr. Elisabeta Ene (Letty for short), Dr. Ahsan Ul Haq and Dr. Selma are all slated to leave, as are some of the house officers. It will be a big loss for me, as they have all been not just colleagues, but have also helped me out in adjusting to the British Healthcare system (the NHS). I am really going to miss them. 

And this ends my entry today. Do let me know how you found it. Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment