Translate

Monday, December 14, 2015

Completing the final steps needed to work

I have had a glorious first month here, and I am still awaiting being placed on the wards as my "occupational health clearance" has taken a little more time than I had anticipated. However, now the final few steps are due this week. Even as I write this on the evening of Monday the 14th, I am counting the hours before I get my second shot of MMR vaccine tomorrow; on the 17th, I am due to visit the National Insurance office to complete formalities for joining the governmental insurance scheme as per their mandatory requirements. 

Thus, within a few days, all formalities will get sorted out and I will be working with patients and in all the areas of the paediatric department. Currently, I am only working in non-clinical work, such as seeing files, completing paper work, etc. I have also begun to take online courses required for improving my C.V. Tomorrow, I would be presenting a case in the monthly morbidity and mortality meeting of the Ob-Gyn and Paediatric department. I took courses on self-development, and attended one event at the Royal College HQ in London some days back. Thus, on the whole, I am keeping myself busy. 

My colleagues are gradually getting comfortable with me and speak cordially with me. I hope they sustain this spirit of friendship once we begin to work together as a team. The head of our department, Dr. Peter Curtis, is a very understanding person, and tries to help me whenever there is a genuine need from my side. The other consultants are nice as well. We have two consultants who are of Indian origin, one Dr. Raj Verma and one Dr. Mohanty. While the former is one of the big guys on the Royal College's examination committee. Dr. Mohanty is an educational counsellor and has taken a keen interest in my professional development. The other consultants include Dr. Nigel, of whom I wrote in my previous post, Dr. Kate Goldberg, Dr. Chris Rawlingson, Dr. Wing, Dr. Rowlands, and a few others. We also have a few consultants who are community Paediatricians, and their duties mostly encompass their work in the clinic and in the community. 

Every Wednesday, we have an educational program in the educational centre, while Friday afternoons are designed for academic meets in the Meeting room of the Women and Children's wing of the hospital. In the latter, house officers and registrars present clinically relevant topics related to recently managed patients from the department. Attendance in such internal meetings is recorded and counts towards "continuous professional development" credit. 

I know today's blog post is a bit technical in nature, but I expect it will interest those of you who are already doctors in the NHS, doctors elsewhere, or those who understand how the NHS works. It might also interest non-medical readers who are my well-wishers and wondering what I am doing and who I work with. Well, this post might have helped them as well!

Thanks for reading, and as always, taking interest in my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment