Translate

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Clinical work begins ...

I took my second dose of the MMR vaccine and the first Chickenpox vaccine on the 15th of December. With this, I became eligible to join the wards to see patients and handle them in other care areas as well. This means a lot to me, since clinical experience is what I am looking for. Now that I am eligible to see patients, I was posted to the out-patient clinics on the 16th, i.e. today. I was quite worried, since I have no previous experience of working with patients in the NHS, and do not know exactly what protocols are to be followed, which forms need to be filled, and so on. However, it turned out far less complex than I had thought it to be. The presence of my consultant colleagues helped me to check with any issues that I felt needed to be addressed. Both of them, Dr. Raj Verma in the morning session, and Dr. Rabin Mohanty in the afternoon session, were extremely understanding and cooperative and helped me through all the difficulties. 

In addition to the clinics, I was in the hand-over sessions both in the morning and in the afternoon. This helped me to understand the patients as they are in the wards and in the Neonatal Unit. In some days, I guess, I would be seeing ward or newborn patients as well, so I should brush up on my day-to-day clinical knowledge. 

Which brings me to my studies ... well, this is not the study studies that formed a part of my life when I was in Saudi Arabia. These are studies that I can do at my own pace, for my own professional development. There are literally hundreds of things happening around someone who looks to take up studying in any form. I have begun walking on this path, and have already taken part in several activities, such as attending a leadership course, presenting a case in a meeting, and so on.

In other news, I have got used to the cold weather here, and am comfortable with the temperature hovering around 6-8 C as well as I was, in India, with a temperature of 18C. The other news is that I have begun to workout at the gym under the guidance of a personal trainer, who has reduced his charges to a level where I can feel easy enough to pay him. In the process, my exercising has increased, I feel sore in many muscles each evening after my return from the gym, and I have begun to lose weight. It isn't something really big - the weight loss, I mean - but it's a start, and I hope to go on with this until I am at a comfortable 75 kg or less ... even if that takes a year. In tandem with my exercising, I have also reduced my intake of carbs and have increased that of proteins and fat. This, the current recommendations say, will help not only to lose weight more scientifically, but also control that deadly disease that I have - diabetes, Type 2. 

And with that, I sign off today's entry. I hope you liked it. I would appreciate if you signed up to receive updates on your email whenever I wrote a new entry in this blog. Thanks once again, and BYE.

No comments:

Post a Comment