Translate

Thursday, January 11, 2018

UK Life: Completed 2 years. What's next?

My readers, I can see the surprise in your eyes. How is it that Taher has suddenly found the inspiration to write every day? I must say, the surprise is not yours alone! I am equally flummoxed by this energy that draws me back to the blog every day and makes my fingers fly on the keyboard! 

In my previous POST, I explored social relations and my attempt to mingle with the British. I want to explore this further, and in this post, I am going to write a bit more about how I overcame distinct communication problems that I faced in this country over the last two days. 

Indians are less prude and more open in their conversations on topics that the British shy away from, taking refuge in their need for privacy. For example, if I was travelling on a train in India, I would make friends with my co-passengers just as I do here in the U.K. People here are very friendly as well. However, questions that we take for granted as being our right to ask are a complete no-no in the U.K. 

These are some examples:
  1. How old are you?
  2. Are you married?
  3. Which ethnic population or native country are you from?
  4. Is this your husband/wife?
  5. Where exactly do you live?
And so on. Such questions are a common part of the social intercourse in India, wouldn't you agree? Most Indians will ask at least 3-4 of the above questions within 10 minutes of chatting with someone, especially if this is on a train or bus journey, for example. In the U.K. people stick to talking about the weather and general stuff. Politics and sports are welcome to discuss; likewise, films, theater, TV shows, personalities, etc. Family is private, Your age, sex, sexual preferences, ethnicity, etc. is private. You can dress any way you like, and it is impolite to stare at someone because they are, for example, in a dress that reveals everything rather than cover it. 

Social hugging is almost universal. Kissing cheeks is acceptable to most people. 

Passing any comments that refer to any personal stuff including religious beliefs, dress habits, weight, height, skin colour, etc. is anathema. No one cares if someone is walking around with their fly open or their hair in a dishevelled state. An Indian colleague of mine thinks British people are universally autistic. They avoid eye contact, stay immersed in what they are doing, do not look up much to take in the people around them, pay little attention to disturbances around them and talk very little. 

I must say, this is almost true! I invite readers to read the comment made by my friend Holly Jahangiri in the post previous to this. She is very astute. A little reserved, I daresay, for a liberal American. But then, who am I to judge her? She will, of course, be annoyed that I have prejudged her. Hence, I will eagerly and sincerely apologise to you, dear -uh oh- not dear - Holly. 

If you liked this blog post, do interact with your comments on the blog just below the post. Thanks. Do keep visiting. Why don't you sign up to follow the blog? 

No comments:

Post a Comment