Translate

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

People Watch

Over the last two years, I have been watching people as much as they are watching me. Each experience is unique. I am going to share a few noteworthy ones here. This is not about any individual. I am going to write in general terms. 

English people are reserved. This is what an average Indian would think. Well, to a point that is true. They respect others' privacy, but also expect others to respect theirs. They are quite "closed" when it comes to sharing facts about themselves. They will merrily chat with you on general topics, happily share jokes, recipes, dressing ideas, movies, travel, etc. But ask them something about their own life, and most will think this is an invasion of their privacy. They will likely clam up or distract you and divert the conversation to another topic that they are comfortable talking about. 




English people are gregarious. This is not something Indians would think they are. And yet, put some beer or whisky into them, and they become charmers. I have been to parties where I have seen absolutely sober English men and women turn into party animals within a few hours. I think we all know what alcohol does to us. So, no, it isn't surprising. And yet, it does make one go wide-eyed and so on when one sees their serious colleagues turn into someone so different - so gregarious and so entertaining!

English people are punctual. It is true to a fault. My duty at the hospital begins at half past eight when I join my colleagues in the department's doctors' room for a morning brief. I am sometimes early, but on most days, I reach about 4-5 minutes late. Almost everyone else, but especially the English male and female doctors are already there when I reach and the briefing has already begun. It is embarrassing, of course. However, this is something I have to live with. I do wake up at half past six and my home is a 10-minute walk from the department, so I have no excuse. It's just that I get caught up doing something or the other, and before I realise it, it is 25 minutes past eight before I leave my home!

English people are extremely polite. This is because this is how they are brought up. One of the fifth year medical students I have worked with is so, so polite that I would make a huge pile of money if she gave me a pound for each time she said "sorry", "thank you" and "excuse me" in the course of a day. People who know this student must be nodding their heads as they read this! I have, however, also found that the English are masters of irony and tongue-in-cheek. They can be harsh critics if you are wrong but will put it across with so much tact that it will be difficult for you to understand that they are, in fact, saying something negative about you. They will never openly talk negatively. 

Whenever a nurse has reservations about my treatment plan, they will voice it in a smooth way that is meant to not offend you. Using phrases like "I wonder if we might not do this in this way" or "Could we look up the book before giving this medicine in this dose" - is second nature to them. If they find me reluctant to change - because, as a doctor, I think I am right - then, they will go over my head to the consultant and get the treatment ratified or overruled. 

English people are racist. No, they aren't. People from India might have this opinion, but no, they are not racist. This is because, from among the top white countries of the world, England is among the best when it comes to a multi-racial society. Look at their cricket team or their football team, and you will understand what I mean. Oh, there are pockets of the country where you will meet radical-minded racists, but they are in a tiny minority and likely to be charged and arrested if they overtly express their racism. On the whole, there may be a tiny shred of internal feeling of prejudice against the darker-skinned population from south Asia or Africa, but usually, I have seen English people treat these people in the same way they would treat the Caucasian or the white Oriental people of the world. 

Dear Reader, what do you think of the above post? Do you agree or disagree. Do share your own experiences. 

Taher

No comments:

Post a Comment