Translate

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Pausing for a breather. Then, moving on.

Returning to this blog after quite a pause. It has been a hectic month, what with planning for a vacation back in India in mid-February. I write this while counting down the hours left for my flight to India via Frankfurt on Lufthansa this time ... I hope to be amidst the living sometime in the early hours of the 17th  ... in Mumbai. 

Work-wise, a few great things happened, and a few things went wrong too. On the wrong side first: I participated in a course that goes beyond life-saving resuscitation of a newborn to learn advanced resuscitation techniques. For this course, I went to Manchester in end-January. The course turned out to be a little tough. However, it did help me to understand a lot of things and will make my treatment and management skills more accurate, specific and well-rounded. 

I went back to my educational supervisor and explained what had happened. I then offered to not be a full-rota registrar that I was slated to become from the 7th of the coming month. This is what then transpired. My supervisor had a lengthy chat with the departmental head and they agreed that it might be a good idea to let me work as a registrar on every occasion except on night calls since that is when there is no support for a registrar and they are pretty much alone with no consultant to cover.

However, here, then, follows the good news. Over the last fortnight, I have been closely scrutinised by the paediatric nurses and the consultants, and they must have felt that I am otherwise quite capable - so they put me back on the night as a registrar in the last two days. I performed quite well, and therefore, am hopeful that I may continue to be on a full rota once the 7th of March comes around. 

In other news, I did perform a few extra practical procedures on neonates and have now gained much more confidence that I can perform well even with this precious category of patients. 

Moving away from the professional to the more personal stuff: in preparation for the vacation that starts tonight, I have been on a buying spree on Amazon as well as offline to meet the demands of my women. I have ended up buying so much stuff! This includes frozen fruit, novelties, items specifically requested by my daughters, and so on. Valentine's day went by yesterday, and this, I believe, will be the best way to fill their hearts with my love for them!

And with these hopeful words, I will end this post. I hope you found it interesting. Thanks. 


2 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful vacation back home!

    I had not seen anything from you in a while; my subscription, apparently, did not go through. We shall see, on the next post, if it works, finally! If it doesn't, I shall gather up all the serverweasels that run the Internet and we will have a BBQ...

    :) I look forward to hearing about your travels. And I'm very glad that despite your professional setback, your supervisors and colleagues know, as I do, what an excellent doctor you are. Performing "advanced resuscitation" on neonates just sounds terrifying to me. I wish I could share with you the photos from friends who had micro-preemies who've gone on to be bright, boisterous kids, though. This is rarely the outcome, is it? But sometimes...sometimes, you get so very lucky. I do think it's a combination of skill and luck, never to be taken for granted by you or your patients' parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Holly,

      Thanks for the great response and your encouragement. It means a lot to me. No, you haven't had any issues with your server. I just haven't written a lot since the last month.

      Taher

      Delete