Translate

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Counting down to my India vacation began a week ago

Yes, it is true. I am going to India for my 4th vacation since I came to the UK a year and five months ago. This time, I am staying there for a fortnight - and am really looking forward to spending quality time with my family. We also have a mini-holiday planned, and some great restaurants and food-binging to look forward to.

What have I been doing these last few weeks? In a line: working hard. To be honest, it has been a gruelling fortnight so far, and it is only the next few days that I will get a few "normal" 8-hour duties. I fly out on Thursday morning and hope to arrive in Mumbai late the same night.

Yesterday, I was on leave and went to pick up my friend Shabbir M's son Ahmed Ali from Blackpool North railway station. He had come to Blackpool on a small one-night holiday on my invitation. Ahmed Ali is a  tall, lanky boy almost as old as Inas. He is pursuing research in his chosen field of avian viruses with a company located near London.

We went on a walk to the town centre, where, on a roadside food and fun fair, we listened to a live band and had some Caribbean food - goat curry and brown rice. We walked around the area, even venturing near the Houndshill shopping centre before returning to the bus stand to go to my home within the hospital. After keeping our stuff, we started almost immediately for a walk to Stanley Park via the Golfing grounds behind the hospital.  I pointed out many sights inside the Park. We also had an ongoing bird-identification monologue from my side, which may have interested him a bit. 

Ahmed Ali with the mounted police near the Municipal Council building

For the record, the horse behind me is 16.3 hands tall and is 16 years old

Ahmed Ali in my lounge

With Ahmed Ali at the town centre

In Stanley Park
The home-made dinner

His phone battery ran out within half an hour of our being together earlier in the evening, so I took most of his pictures. We returned to the hospital for a bit and then went back to the town centre and the promenade. As we both held a one-day pass on Blackpool transport, we took a tram to Starr Gate - the southern terminal of the tramway. I believe he had a good time watching the sights. We returned to the Tower after a while and then by bus back home. 

For dinner, I had made chicken masala and rice, which we both partook of. We ended the day by sharing some stories. More on this in my next post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment