Translate

Friday, November 4, 2016

Back on the job, and advent of winter

It has been over a fortnight now since my family vacation ended. And yet, it seems as if it was only yesterday! What a time I had. We had never taken such a long vacation and it was definitely worth it. And the funny part is that we never realised how time flew. We saw over 15 different places, and some of them were unplanned route diversions where we saw and did amazing things. Above all, this hugely enjoyable vacation did not even cost a big amount of money. I must have spent about 6500 GBP in all, a very reasonable sum indeed. 

And now, it's back to work. The autumnal fall of leaves is now done with, and trees are almost barren. There is a cold nip in the air, the more so in the past few days. In fact, it has rained quite a bit in the past 48 hours or so. Darkness descends upon the firmament as early as, say, 5 o'clock in the evening. When you wake up in the morning, you just don't feel like shrugging off the duvet and rising and shining! What keeps you going, though, is the awareness that if you don't wake up and start soon, you will most likely be late to reach your place of work. This can be a tricky situation, especially if your bosses are aware that you pretty much stay on the hospital campus - and are still late, even if by a few minutes. 

It has been a busy week or two, with the Paediatric ward filling up with infants and children experiencing breathing problems right, left and centre. The best thing that happened to me was that I was placed as the only junior doctor looking after the neonates in the special care newborn unit. Of course, there was a consultant who took the rounds with me, but on a couple of days, no consultant was available, and I took the entire round by myself. On that particular day, I felt as if I had stepped up a bit. I continued doing the neonatal rounds until the end of the week, which was earlier today. 

And that is how it goes. I will probably not be gainfully employed over the weekend, but, as they say, tomorrow is another day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment