Translate

Monday, September 26, 2016

My first drive in the UK

It was something I had to do in preparation for my family's upcoming visit to the UK next weekend. I already had an International Driving Permit. Now, all I had to do was to rent out a car. The previous week, I had gone to the one and only car rental agency located in the town - Enterprise Rent A Car - but I was refused a car as they did not have a car to spare. Hence, I booked a car online on last Wednesday, and I picked it up as per the online booking on Saturday morning at around half past nine. 

It was an Opel (Vauxhall in the UK) Corsa with manual transmission, but this is where its simplicity ends. It was a 3-door hatchback, with one door on the trunk and two side doors. It was in excellent condition. I attached a satnav from Garmin on to its front glass and drove it initially to the hospital and to my home, and then, all the way via Motorway to North Manchester, where I had to go to do a locum shift for one afternoon. 

The car performed very well. I reached my destination in about an hour and a half, and this included a few stops - once for petrol and once for a few purchases from a convenience store. My duty shift ran from 16:00 hours until 23:00 hours. My return to Blackpool was from 23:15 hours until 00:40 hours. I reached my home safely, and without any major difficulties. 

The entire journey and the two extra days that I kept the car with me (from Saturday morning until Monday evening) cost me about 80 quid. But at the end of it, I am confident I can drive anywhere in the UK with, or without family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment