Translate

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Over 5000 views, and some news on what is happening here in the UK

At the time of writing, I have actually had over 5500 views on my four and a half-month-old blog. This is extremely heart-warming and I thank all my readers sincerely. I am aware that many of you are, in fact, following my writing since a long time - and some of you are likely to remain one of my regular readers, come what may. To all the new readers here, a big WELCOME. 

I have been struggling with the new kind of work in the UK. Having worked in Mumbai as a Paediatric consultant for over 2 decades, I left my practice to work as a Paediatrician in Saudi Arabia from November 2011 until September 2015. During those four years, I garnered a lot of support and encouragement from many of my friends and acquaintances as I set about gathering a new qualification: the Membership of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. I succeeded in my endeavour and was able to get my MRCPCH certificate during the first quarter of 2015.

One thing led to another. Eventually, exactly 4 years after I had left India to go to Saudi Arabia - viz. on the 16th of November 2015, I began a new chapter in my professional life by arriving in the U.K. to be part of the Paediatric team at the Blackpool Victoria Hospital in Blackpool.

It has now been over 4 1/2 months since I arrived here. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge. I have had my dark moments and my highs. What has kept me going is my continued enthusiasm to balance my work with enjoying life. Initially, I used to take my work lightly. Soon enough, I began to be censured by the higher-ups, who felt, and I would agree they were right, that I would need to be seen as much more serious about my responsibilities if I were to make anything out of my present job. I did exactly that, and today, I am happy to say, that I have travelled much more of the distance than where I was in mid-February 2016. Luckily, I even made time to go to India and met my family and relatives in what turned out to be my best 10 days of the last six months.

During December and January, I had already begun to travel short distances to see England. A visit to the Peak District and a walk down the Monsal Trail was a highlight of that time. In February and March, I continued my internal travels, visiting Manchester, and then, Liverpool city. Towards the latter half of March, I began to go on serious birding and photography trips, initially by myself, and later, in the company of an English birding and photography enthusiast, Mr Martin Lever. We went together to Stanley Park, and even the Rossall point to the north of where I live. The previous few weeks saw me make solo trips to the Lake District (Lake Windermere area) and to the RSPB Leighton Local Nature Reserve.  I saw many different birds,a few animals and a whole lot of naturally beautiful spots of the landscape.

In summary, it has been a mixed journey, but always with some positive outcomes. I am grateful for having got the opportunity to work in the NHS. I have not only learned so much, I have also made so many new friends, earned a modicum of respect from my colleagues, and had so much fun on weekends. 

What do you think?

To view my photos, visit me on Facebook, go to the "Photos" link and explore my albums; alternatively, browse this blog. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment