Translate

Monday, November 16, 2015

Arrival in the UK

The preparations to come to this country took well over 2 months. First, I had to complete my medical council registration; then, the UK visa; and finally, do shopping and accumulate stuff that one should compulsorily have with them when they wish to immigrate to the UK - but especially important stuff like utensils, a pressure cooker, clothes to ward off the cold and wet climate with, money to carry along, and a host of other stuff. 

During the past few months, I also hosted a few get-togethers; the first one was with my Nagpada friends, Drs. Muhbeen, Arif Shaikh and Ashfaq; at this get-together, which I had in the month of September, we had Raan Biryani, the favourite dish of Persian Durbar- the place we ate at. The next one was a family get-together with Murtuza's family. This was hosted by Murtuza, and was also at Persian Durbar, with all of us again having the same main dish that my friends and I had gorged on previously. 

The final big get-together was the one we organised about 3 days before my departure from India. At this meet, we invited the entire families of my dear friends - the Jolly club members, my own family and my wife's closest family members - a brother's family and a cousin sister's family (Pappu being the brother and her cousin Lovely being the sister). This get-together was organised by us at the Kolsa Mohalla jamatkhana. Will post pictures of this one day in this blog.

On the 14th morning, I finally caught a flight from Terminal 2 of the Mumbai Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport (Gate 73, Turkish Airlines) to Manchester. My flight took off at 6.50 a.m. IST. I had a layoff for about 2 1/2 hours at the airport in Istanbul, which I reached after a journey of 7 hours and where I changed planes to continue my onward journey to Manchester. This second leg of my journey took over 4.5 hours. Thus, my entire journey took over 14 hours, and I arrived in Manchester at around 3.30 p.m. GMT.

En route, Turkish Airlines served great food; during the first flight, they served a Turkish meal consisting of cheesy salted items, spinach and smoked salmon with sides of salad and a strawbetty yogurt, On the second leg, they served snacks, which were equally delicious. All in all, the flights were good. Istanbul airport is a very, very busy airport. They have so many departure gates! Mine was gate 304! The population at the airport was completely cosmopolitan. My first flight was running full. The second was nearly full, too.

On arriving at Manchester, the immigration formalities and retrieval of luggage took over an hour, I got a local train from Manchester Airport to Poulton le Fylde. My bags were really heavy and I had a tough time transferring them from the airport to the rail station, and from the station on to the train itself. However, I got an empty train and got settled in into the second compartment from the rear. Disaster struck when the announcer said that only the first three compartments of the train would travel to Blackpool, while the rear 3 were slated to be disconnected and would be going to another place - with a new locomotive engine. I managed to disembark at Preston, and boarded the front compartments with some difficulty. I reached Poulton at 6.30 p.m. Took a cab from there and arrived at Blackpool Victoria Hospital around 7:00 p.m. 

That's all for now. More in my next post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment